Mycotoxins are toxic substances produced by certain types of mold. These toxins can have serious health effects when inhaled or ingested, ranging from immediate toxic response to potential long term carcinogenic and teratogenic effects.

The Importance of Testing for Mycotoxins

It is important to test for and identify mycotoxins, especially in the investigation of moisture and mold damage inside buildings. These toxins, produced by certain types of mold, can have serious short term and long term health effects, including cold and flu symptoms, dermatitis, sore throat, headache, fatigue, diarrhea, and impaired or altered immune systems leading to opportunistic infections. These illnesses are known as Building Related Illnesses, or BRI.

Mycotoxin Testing Services

To ensure the safety of individuals in affected buildings, AIAQS offers testing and identification of the fungal load inside water damaged buildings as part of a broad IAQ assessment where there is a concern about identified negative health symptoms. By identifying the presence of the opportunistic fungi and mycotoxins, the results can be shared with qualified allergists or physicians for further testing through blood serum or urine analysis. This testing can assist in proper diagnosis and treatment of the toxic effects. During post mold remediation testing to ensure a successful mold reversal has been performed, this step, combined with other air or surface mold testing, is the only way in determining if a building is safe to continue to be inhabited.

Mycotoxin Testing Interest Form

Moisture, Mold, and Mycotoxin Inspection and Testing Interest Form

Steps 6, 7, 9, 10 are part of every Moisture and Mold Inspection and Mycotoxin testing project.